Permaculture is a science, but also an art. It is not just agronomic technology, but also a way of organic cultivation, it is an application of ecology and integration of the disciplines of design and planning. Farmers, architects, district planners, economists, and even students, home or gardener can follow their spirit and design principles to practice their goals
Permaculture includes clever combination of soil, plants, animals, micro-climate and energy, so that every earth user — can learn from their own lives, design a system to adapt to the operation of the world, in order that every inch of land to give full play to the good deeds of God. Its application is very wide, the most common agricultural production is through the ground, water, fire, wind and other elements of planning and design in order to reduce the human input, to create the nature to help us operate a good way. Use in the city to repair, through the balcony, roof, community, the establishment of people, people and nature cooperation space; it can also be applied to the city, and even the national overall ecosystem construction. Permaculture is used to design the responsibility, from the so-called professional designers pulled to each person, so that each can start from their own lives, from their own can be responsible for the space to start, and then to influence family, friends and relatives, Affect the neighbors, and even affect the whole society, deepen in every person’s daily life.
Meng Lei Peter Morehead Lecturer
Meng Lei Peter Morehead, Earth Traveler Environment Studio Designer, Park Gate Continuously Design Permaculture Design Professional Certified Teacher, Designer. In 1999, we completed the Permaculture DesignCourse in Australia and practiced the design for 15 years. In 2006 in the United States to complete Permaculture professional teacher certification courses for Taiwan’s first Pukun constant design teacher certified instructor, is also a strong theoretical foundation and practical experience of Pu door designers.
Meng Lei is a Chinese American, who demonstated his proficiency in speaking and writing Chinese. He studied in the United States to learn natural architecture and then began to share the natural life of life applications, and through the course shares how to use the natural building techniques covered with good insulation and easy to crack High quality clay kiln, community type rocket furnace and small soil house. Expertise Permaculture, appropriate technology research and development, urban space, renewable resource design, urban space ecological utilization planning and teaching (balcony ecological use, community composting system, rainwater recovery, passive solar design), soil rehabilitation Wait.
Meng Lei was awarded the Taipei Design Award and was awarded the Degree Award (Farm Design and Adaptation Technology) for Permaculture Sustainable Design and Application in Permaculture College in Australia in 2012. In addition to teaching in recent years, mainly engaged in the practice of Permaculture, old house transformation, while creating a land traveler Taidong Permaculture education base, the application of comprehensive material self-made housing.
The idea of the name “earth traveler” comes from the concept of the Earth’s spacecraft. The earth is like a vehicle that is the only shuttle to our life from birth to death, so we must learn to take care of the bus and make sure it can serve the future generations.
We think that we are the earth’s passengers, not the master of the earth, in the universe of time and space, each passenger’s journey is very short, leaving the footprint should be very light. So we advocate simple life, and through a variety of environmental design and education methods to convey our philosophy.
It is closely related to the earth and the future generations because of the fact that all the earth and the daily life of mankind are closely related to energy, but most people still can not understand the values of their daily life. Therefore, To promote the work, all to the energy of this theme, as our future society with the environment a positive response.
At the same time, we understand that energy flow, material circulation is the key to maintaining the operation of the overall ecosystem, therefore, the focus on energy issues should not be limited to electricity, but should extend to our eating habits, modes of transport, Travel distance, leisure activities, and our definition of comfort, civilization and development.
Based on the above concepts and commitment to the planet, the commitment to “efficient energy planning” Park design (Permaculture) as we systematically look at the overall environment, as well as the cause of environmental guidance. Our work includes:
Parker sustainable design (Permaculture)
Design & Consultation
Systematic base design (energy, water resources, soil rehabilitation, artificial environment, etc.)
Energy – saving space design
Design of roof ecological park
Edible landscape design (park, terrace / balcony / flower design)
Farm overall design
- We are have done on this planet
- We admit to not being in control of the Earth’s systems
- We accept a humble position along with a rich diversity of other “passengers” species that are no less or more important than ourselves.
The name also implies that the Earth is like a vehicle, and true enough, the Earth is the only vehicle that will take us for the ride of our lives from birth to death. There’s no getting off and there’s no switching to another vehicle – so We must learn to take care of this one and ensure that it is in working order for future. Most made, we believe this vehicle is not just some dead machine: taken as a whole, the biosphere is akin to a living creature and human Life is just one part of this creature – therefore we need to foster an attitude of respect and stewardship for all life, and balance the human factor in the entire Earth equation.
So where is this Earthship taking us? Around and around the Sun, our source of energy – the fuel that powers the Earth and all its passengers. Conservative and wise utilization of the Sun’s energy is a key principle to our growing condition Provided everything we need to take us and all other passenger species from point A in time to point B in time. What are we doing to make sure that we make it to point B without overworking or destroying the vehicle?
Our motivating forces (assumptions):
- It is impossible to gauge the long-term effects of current human activities on the Earth. Human-induced climate change and mass extinction show the fragility of the Earth’s systems. We need to minimize our impact, both as individuals and as a society.
- The development of humanity is not based on material wealth. We need to focus on harmonization between all peoples and species and with our environment, now more than ever.
- Modern society is dangerously dependent on unsustainably high amounts of energy. Fossil fuel energy sources will vanish within the century and we have to prepare our grandchildren for low-energy lifestyles.
- The Earth’s stores of near water and soil are depleted. We need to learn how to store these two vital resources in living systems on land in order to spread this wealth reviews among all humans and other creatures.
- Cities will soon undergo major transformations in response to disappearing energy sources. We need to make cities more self-reliant and more responsible for their resources.
Our opinions and actions
- Promote recycling and reuse of daily objects (second hand use of goods)
- Buy Nothing Day
- Voluntary simplicity everyday
- Environmental education in general
- Service learning projects
- World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF)
- Low technology that is accessible to all
- Non-violent solutions to conflicts
- Renewable energy education
- Solar cooker education
- Passive solar design
- Earth-friendly products and materials (low embodied energy *)
- Rainwater catchment and usage
- Encourage young people to return to the land and learn soil-building gardening techniques
- Reforestation projects
- Composting toilets
- Rooftop gardening and utilization
- Encourage establishment of community gardens in parks and on rooftops
- Encourage bicycle transport
- Discourage private motor vehicle transport
- Encourage work-near-home schemes
- Design and retrofit energy-efficient buildings
* Embodied energy = the total combined amount of energy that it takes to produce a material, including energy used used extraction, transportation, processing, manufacture, packaging, distribution and retailing, etc.
Permaculture designer and teacher
Professional training: Completed in 1999 Permaculture Design Course, Teacher Geoff Lawton;
Advanced Permaculture Design Course on Teaching permaculture teacher certification, in 2006 the division thing Tom Ward, Jude Hobbs)
Chairman of the Taiwan Institute of Sustainable Design (Chairman, Taiwan Permaculture Institute)
Expertise : Permaculture Design, Customized R & D, Passive Solar Design, Organic Planting, Energy Saving, Natural Building, Soil Reconstruction and Restoration.
Interest: learning to survive skills, self-produced food, reading, music from the beginning of the young people I found myself a land traveler – I and the rest of the world’s biological and non-biological are closely linked; human is not the master of the earth, nor is it Driving, we do not even know where we will be the earth “sun spacecraft” where to go. Since then, I have begun to learn a variety of Earth-friendly survival skills, knowledge, and try to practice in life, after the pursuit of personal survival skills expansion, and social groups how to survive with the relevant skills. So I started to have a high interest in Permaculture. In 1999, I completed the Permaculture Design in Australia, and returned to Taiwan to increase my experience through practice and practice in Yangming Mountain. In 2006 in the United States to complete Permaculture professional teacher certification courses, and obtain the formal qualifications of professors. I am interested in the design of renewable resources in urban space, research and development (roof ecological farmland, street farming, balcony ecological use, community composting system, rainwater recycling, passive solar design, etc.), and community training. Is currently actively deepening the knowledge, technology and experience of sustainable life design to achieve the goal of teaching professional Permaculture in Taiwan. I am from Madison City, the capital of Wisconsin, where I am majoring in Chinese and environmental studies (especially agriculture). In 1990, in order to broaden the international perspective, look at the world, I first came to Taiwan as an international exchange student, living in Taiwan for more than 15 years, Taiwan is a beautiful, rich ecological, cultural diversity, Is also my home.